Sport Bikes banner

Something Interesting To Know About The Fz6

2K views 37 replies 26 participants last post by  Limey 1 
#1 ·
I'm from the US I live in Ohio and I haven't seen one fz6 in my area at all
every great while my buddy's would take a pic's on one if their on a rode trip
for me to let me know I'm not the only one out there with a FZ6...
I know that now after finding this great site too...
I found this link on sales on Bikes in the European countries comes to show we might be on to something here. I thought this was cool finding this out
check it out

http://blogs.motorbiker.org/blogs.nsf/dx/03062006102924MWED5Y.htm

later on... maybe I'll meet up with some of you guy's later on in the year I want to try to make it to one of those meet's but I don't know if I'll be able to get the time off for that :(

#2 ·
I was aware that the FZ-6 is one of the best selling models in Europe.

However, I too here in the US have only ever seen two. That of course is also a nice thing, since it gives the bike an exclusivity factor. Who wants to see themselves all the time??

I would also think Yamaha probably allocates more of them to Europe... As I recall, the first year they said it was just a limited release model here.

#5 ·
Great stats. Thanks. I notice the UK goes for the big bikes. And BMW #1 in Germany makes sense. I have to say us FZ6 owners are alot smarter than the other Americans. I think we should keep it a secret.

#6 ·
PWGUNNY said:
Great stats. Thanks. I notice the UK goes for the big bikes. And BMW #1 in Germany makes sense. I have to say us FZ6 owners are alot smarter than the other Americans. I think we should keep it a secret.
+1 Absolutly. I've only seen one other while riding, and I saw a silver one parked up north at the Devils Caldron on the Oregon coast last summer. The fewer the better in my book.

#7 ·
I bet KTM is kicking themselves in the ass for not sponsoring Boorman and McGregor around the world. R1200GS sales shows the power of the Force!

I know you guys get tired of my rants... but wonder what FZ-6 sales would do if you could buy the naked version here? Or if the ABS model was available? Are there some Americans who would pay for emergency stopping power over raw power??

#8 ·
yeah I'm with you guys with the fewer the better for state side.. I know it sure gets more looks when people don't know what an FZ6 is, I can't count how many people ask me what my bike was last year.. makes me feel like I ride some kind of exotic sportbike but nope it's just an FZ6 and now the best European seller haha.
later on

#11 ·
:lao one reason i bought my fz was the fact that i've NEVER seen one on the road except for mine lol. I dont want to ride the same thing everyone else rides.
I even got some looks and points from harley people at bike week because they probably never saw one either

#16 ·
naked or nothin fz6 dude. said:
I'm from the US I live in Ohio and I haven't seen one fz6 in my area at all
every great while my buddy's would take a pic's on one if their on a rode trip
for me to let me know I'm not the only one out there with a FZ6...
I know that now after finding this great site too...
I found this link on sales on Bikes in the European countries comes to show we might be on to something here. I thought this was cool finding this out
check it out

http://blogs.motorbiker.org/blogs.nsf/dx/03062006102924MWED5Y.htm

later on... maybe I'll meet up with some of you guy's later on in the year I want to try to make it to one of those meet's but I don't know if I'll be able to get the time off for that :(
Wow!?!?!? I've seen 2 other FZ6's and one FZ1 where I work alone (a NASA funded research center in Pasadena of about 5000 people). But, I'd say our lab is split 50%-40%-10% amongst cruiser (mostly Harley), Sport Touring/Touring (FZ6s go here), Sport/Super Sport.

#18 ·
Allan said:
I know mrfun is from cleveland.
If things would have worked out, that would have been my FZ6. I rode it end of January while in Cleveland for the bike show.
So if there is anyone who wants a clean, well maintained, garage kept FZ6 in blue, GO FOT IT!
Unfortunately I cannot spend any money on a new bike for the time being.

#19 ·
Me sissie... like computers to help me mange engine, brakes, navigation. Don't like chokes, or manual spark advance. Don't like locking up tires...

Me go bed now... cry self to sleep... wondering why Yamaha keeps ABS oversees... as well as the kewlll accessories for the kewlllest bike.

Bye, Bye.

#20 ·
Perhaps the reason they're not the big seller in the US is availability. There's not too many FZ6's for sale in the first place. Out here, FZ6's are the among the first bikes to go out-of-stock at dealerships after release, mostly due to low stock (numbering maybe less than 10 per year), and people who want them have to wait next year or, what they usually do- get another bike.

Also, I think people who get FZ6's know they want an FZ6, and after entering a dealership, walk past all other bikes and straight to the FZ. Not the type who walk into the dealership and say something to the tune of "I wanna NICE BIKE!" and greeted with a throng of salesmen eager to pass out a $10,000+ one-liter sportbike.

#22 ·
SnapRolls said:
Me sissie... like computers to help me mange engine, brakes, navigation. Don't like chokes, or manual spark advance. Don't like locking up tires...

Me go bed now... cry self to sleep... wondering why Yamaha keeps ABS oversees... as well as the kewlll accessories for the kewlllest bike.

Bye, Bye.
What's with this ABS fetish Snap? Have you locked up your brakes lately and fell down? :lao

#23 ·
nitro200exc said:
What's with this ABS fetish Snap? Have you locked up your brakes lately and fell down? :lao
No, I haven't (except in BRC). My friends with years and years of biking behind them have locked the brakes which is much more sobering. If I do it,then I'm just a dumb_ss :squid .

When the "the acknowledged alpha rider" of the herd does it in a panic... and crashes, I pause to reflect.

When another lone rider messes up an emergency stop on a very wet day and his ABS saves his butt, I pause to reflect.

In a side note, I spend a lot of my career convincing fighter pilots to adopt technology that will enable them to do their job better. Most fighter pilots want more power, and a gun with a lot more ammunition... and anything that is seen as "taking away control" is viewed with immense disdain. So I spend your taxes staging simulations and getting data showing how techonology can help them get better kills and they still don't like it.

Anybody who has fooled with internal combustion engines from the 30s had to control all sorts of things that the engine computer unit does now. Most of us would never think of going back to manual chokes, and setting the spark advance, and the mixture. You might fool with a power commander but you don't want to fool with the settings while riding. As soon as ABS is seamless (you don't know it's there until it activates), you'll appreciate it.

After all, Ducatti has been successful in MotoGP partly because of traction control. Who would have thought?

I'm used to two things... being a solo voice of dissent... and being right. I guess three things... I forgot humble.

#24 ·
I never even saw 1 in person before I got mine. Talk about blind faith!!!

I did all my research online and was originally looking at the SV650S for about a year. That was until I saw the Fizzer come stateside in 04. By the time I got the OK from the wife to get a bike, I had changed my mind. For me (and I know this is covered in a different thread) it was the fact the the Fizzer was based on the R6 motor, fuel-injected, larger fuel capacity, sporty-touring riding position and the clincher was the undertail exhaust. The only thing the SV had going for it was V-twin. I had seen some SVs around here before and after I got the FZ. Still have yet to see one close to home.

#25 ·
I have a Triumph America cruiser and FZ6. Both are rare bikes here and attract lots of looks, alas from different types of people. Chicks prefer the FZ6 (they want to sit on it) and old geezers the Triumph (they tell me war stories). I got tired of war stories so recently I ve been riding the FZ6 more...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.