Sport Bikes banner

Tire pressure for a different brand of tire?

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  rennsport 
#1 ·
After a week of riding with the Michelin Pilot Roads, I have to say I'm very happy with them. However, I realized I've been forgetting to check the pressure. I can't find the info on what pressure the tires need to be at anywhere, not on the tires themselves nor on the Michelin website. The only info on the tires makes reference to the maximum pressure. Am I just supposed to estimate based on the maximum?

#3 · (Edited)
#4 ·
I am running 35psi front and about 38psi rear on my Pilot Roads no probs.

I didn't find their recommended pressures either so just used a slightly higher setting that the 33/36 suggested for the Dunlop stock tyres and watched how those went.

Nearly 18 000 km on the rear but its nearly shot- I am very pleased with that rate of wear! The roads here are hard on tyres and I haven't exactly babied the bike either.

cheers ... kimbo

#5 ·
I may be wrong, lord knows it wouldn’t be the first time… :rolleyes but I believe that you're not supposed to base tire pressure on what it says on the sidewall of the actual tire. I thought you were only supposed to use the tire pressure recommended in your owners manual. The reason being is that the tire manufacturer will list the maximum allowable tire pressure for that particular tire on the sidewall… but that may be VERY different from what Yamaha recommends for the rear tire of your particular bike. For example, the Michelin tire may say “36 psi” on the sidewall, but Yamaha may say to only put “33 psi” in the rear tire. Just a thought.

#6 ·
Lucky_Devil said:
I may be wrong, lord knows it wouldn’t be the first time… :rolleyes but I believe that you're not supposed to base tire pressure on what it says on the sidewall of the actual tire. I thought you were only supposed to use the tire pressure recommended in your owners manual.
Ditto. Tire pressure recommendations for my suzuki are on a sticker on the swingarm.

#7 ·
Check the manufactures website. I have the Metzeler Z6, which are excellent by the way (thanks AlaskaCajun for the recommendation), and the webstie has suggested inflation figures. Incidently the figures recommended are not much different than the Yamaha figures. Basically 2 psi higher for the front tire.

#8 ·
Azrael said:
I'm afraid it really doesn't say. I looked on both sides of both tires very carefully. The part about the maximum goes something like this, "For USA and Canada, the maximum load is blah, blah, blah at 42 PSI cold"

EDIT:
In fact, here's a link to a picture of exactly what the tire says.

http://two-wheels.michelin.com/2w/f...codePage=8092004155026_08092004155143&lang=EN
Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear enough with my info. What I found was that they said to use the pressures as recommended by Yamaha.

#9 ·
After the fiasco a few years back between Ford and Firestone regarding their Wilderness AT Explorer tire, I learned to trust the tire manufacturer over the vehicle manufacturer. Turns out the pressure Ford put in the manual was wrong and that contributed to all those rollover deaths.

#10 ·
Azrael said:
After the fiasco a few years back between Ford and Firestone regarding their Wilderness AT Explorer tire, I learned to trust the tire manufacturer over the vehicle manufacturer. Turns out the pressure Ford put in the manual was wrong and that contributed to all those rollover deaths.
Email the manufacturer for the correct pressure. I just fitted Pirelli Diablo's and then emailed Pirelli for correct pressure info. They told me front=36, Rear=42 (45 with pillion). Big difference to Yam figures. Trust the Tyre manufacturers. They are experts in their field.

#11 ·
I run the Pilot roads as well and my pressures are 40 rear 36 front. The thing to remember is, do not exceed their max value.

you can put this tire on a number of bikes and they all will have different values for optimum performance.

#12 ·
Azrael said:

Well that and firestone makes some cheap tires! :pisson

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.