Sport Bikes banner

03 cbr954rr not getting fuel

5K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  ped 
#1 ·
Hey guys
I've got a 2003 954rr for some reason it's not getting any fuel. The pump kicks on but nothing is coming through the injectors.

#2 ·
way too many things to try to diagnose online. start by disconnecting the fuel line and turning the pump on to see if it squirts fuel. then check the line somewhere between the pump and fuel rail for a pinch or maybe an inline filter that's clogged.

#5 · (Edited)
IDK if it has one, could be a myriad of things. go to a honda forum, they'll know better.

I doubt its a fuel pressure issue or it would run and cut out under throttle.

fuel pump might be bad, it runs but impeller isnt pushing anything. that's why I said take the line off the pump and see if it squirts when you turn the key on.

#4 ·
Fuel injectors require the gas line be under pressure. When you turn the key to "on", the fuel pump should click then whirr. My brother the professional mechanic says it is whine not whirr. You will hear the turbine in the fuel pump going round if it is working.
If it isn't making the sound of a little turbine spinning, then that is your problem. If it is working (whirring, whining, spinning, what ever) then there is a pin hole someplace in the fuel lines. The fuel pump isn't putting pressure to the system because there is a hole some where. Even a pinhole too small to see by eye will do it. If the fuel pump isn't working, see if there is a reset for it. MOST vehicle fuel pumps have automatic safety systems that cut off the fuel pump if there is no gas. That is so the fuel pump doesn't keep spinning and setting off the vapors in the fuel tank.
Not sure what Honda does about that.
Fuel pumps are not hard to change. Pricey though. Check a service manual to see if there is a reset button. Lots cheaper then buying a new fuel pump.

#9 ·
Is it running? I jumped the goat. I thought it was not running at all. Do a complete combustion cycle check. Fuel, air, spark. It HAS to be one of those. Does the 954 use a sensor or a chain & gear to control the timing? IIRC, the early fuel injection was mechanically timed. So if the chain has skipped a tooth, then the fuel will be ijected after the spark instead of right bewfore. In that case it should run very rough until you have enough residual charge in the combustion chamber to be exploded. Your fuel, air and spark has to be in the right place at the right time. The only advantage the mechanic down at the shop has is experience. He might have seen this before and know exactly what it is. If he hasn't he will follow the steps needed to solve combustion cycle problems;
GAS ENGINE TROUBLES AND REMEDIES

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.