Sport Bikes banner

Roads in AZ

21K views 77 replies 34 participants last post by  rgbeard 
#1 ·
This info is courtesy of Philbie... :beer

There are a several decent roads in AZ. Most require a bit of a drive to get to however.

1. Hwy 89 from Yarnell to Prescott.
2. Alt 89 from Prescott to Jerome.
3. Parts of Hwy 87 from Mesa to Payson.
4. Hwy 60 from Globe to Show Low.
5. Tortilla Flatts hwy 88 east of Apache Junction.
6. Mount Lemon in Tucson.
7. Kitt Peak Observatory east of Tucson.
8. Mount Graham south of Safford.
9. Hwy 191 from Clifton to Alpine
10. Hwy 180 in New Mexico and Hwy 78, completes the 230+mile loop from Clifton.

1-6 are normally patrolled with very little chance of getting out of a ticket.
7-10 are very seldom patrolled with 9 being the best road and 10 the second.

Hangouts? Mill Ave in Tempe, ASU is right next to it. The Pavillions in Scottsdale on Saturday nights. I can't remember the cross streets.

TeamAZ is the better of the two trackday outfits here locally. www.asmaracing.com is most technical track and cheapest to run.

Philbie is always looking for new riders to go to Arroyo Seco with him.

See less See more
#27 ·
So I ended up heading to Wickenberg and up 89 to prescott....the two sets of twisties through there were pretty awesome...I was impressed! Then we headed over to I-17 up to Camp Verde and took 260 to 87 down through Payson and back home...Had some good twisties through there too....but 89 proved to be much better.
VA/WV still has AZ beat so far though.....

#28 ·
R6Chris said:
VA/WV still has AZ beat so far though.....
Hmmm... prolly. But you gotta do some of the other spots before drawing final conclusions.

#32 ·
Because there will still be snow in areas and sand. Around 7000ft elevation in spots. I rode it for the first time over Memorial Day and it was cold a shit.

#33 ·
I did it the weekend before Memorial day - about this time of the year - it was warm, but the melting snow had left rockfalls in some of the apexes. And the forestry dept was doign a burn across the road at one point.

#34 ·
exmarinegrunt said:
If you go to wickenburg then take the 89 to Prescott it is pretty sweet!! Going up the mountain before Yarnell there are some monster sweepers that you can really get going around. Then its a little ways of straights then some good twisties for a while before you get into Precott. That would be a perfect ride for this weekend. Get out of the heat thats coming. Just be careful in the twisties before Prescott after Yarnell. Last time we were out there we saw a motorcycle cop.

I try taking that route every other week after work. Since I work close to the back entry of Prescott. It is very fun!

#36 ·
I was thinking about checking out 60 (between Globe to Show Low). I see the initial post says it is heavily patroled with little chance of getting out of a ticket. Are there just certain spots to look out for? Are there good sections that are rarely/never patroled? Any recent experiences? Is it worth the risk?

191 sounds/looks sweet.... too bad it is so damn far away!

#37 ·
R6Chris said:
I was thinking about checking out 60 (between Globe to Show Low). I see the initial post says it is heavily patroled with little chance of getting out of a ticket. Are there just certain spots to look out for? Are there good sections that are rarely/never patroled? Any recent experiences? Is it worth the risk?

191 sounds/looks sweet.... too bad it is so damn far away!
The whole thing is patrolled, there is usually a cop driving up and down it. The good twisties only last about 5-10 miles if that but they are worth it.

#38 ·
R6Chris said:
That section of tarmac, Salt River Canyon (SRC), is worth the trip. It's pretty quick and flowing and the surface is very good. A risk? No, it's a challenge.:)

#39 ·
CSB39 said:
That section of tarmac, Salt River Canyon (SRC), is worth the trip. It's pretty quick and flowing and the surface is very good. A risk? No, it's a challenge.:)

+11 That is my favorite road and deff worth the ride! It's awesome because it's like an effin' race track out there! The ONE TIME I'VE SEEN A COP, he was busy with an accident where a cager took out a guard rail.......

#41 ·
KevinCBR1k said:
+11 That is my favorite road and deff worth the ride! It's awesome because it's like an effin' race track out there! The ONE TIME I'VE SEEN A COP, he was busy with an accident where a cager took out a guard rail.......
Like a race track? Hardly. Imagine what happends when a bike and guardrail decide they wanna be close friends?

#46 ·
R6Chris said:
Don't really mind long rides......I have been know to go on 10 hour rides before....
QUOTE]

Long ride??? Not meaning to bash you or nothing, but when I rode my SV from PHX to San Antonio, that tooke me 2 13 hour trips split into 2 days. That was a long haul.

Honor & Country,

Doc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.