Sport Bikes banner

Picking a KTM sumo guide

10K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Bikertrash 
#1 ·
I put this together over on SMJ and thought I would post it here as well.

I'm trying to build a guide to the KTM supermotos, because a lot of the information seems to be scattered. I would like to go over all of the model differences and talk about the street capabilities of each so that people trying to choose a KTM can find all of the right stuff in the same place. Please help contribute to this thread of knowledge, and I will do my best to stay on top of editing all of the stuff into my original post so that it is all available from the top.

450 and 505 SX- One to avoid for street use, but as KTM's motocross offering they can make a good track-only choice. With a 4-speed and 260mm/220mm, they really are not going to be street friendly. To my knowledge, the 505 was stopped in 2008.

450 and 530 EXC- Probably the most notable of the KTM bikes used for conversions. Street legal from the factory. Feature the widest ratios of the dirt bike 6-speeds, so if converting a KTM for highway use this is likely to be your best bet. In 2008, the RFS (450: 89x72mm) motor was switched for the LC4 (450: 95x63.4mm). The increase in bore and decreased stroke gave it more top end revs and hp. The bore/stroke ratio stayed the same from 525 to the 530 model.

450 and 505 XC- Would take a good bit of stuff to put this one on the road, it is seen more as the compromise bike for someone who wants to race both woods and motocross. With a 5-speed and 260mm/220mm brakes, it really is not cut out for road duty without some improvements.

450 and 530 XC-W- These are the pure woods racer models of the lineup. It may look like an XC, but that seems to be in name only. The 6-speed is the same as the EXC but with lower sprockets and it is not street legal out of the box, but it does come with lights and the engine is not choked up with emissions stuff. Front suspension is open-cartridge with a machined triple clamp. Rear suspension geometry is improved over the XC and is adjustable.

450 and 525 SMC- Production stopped in 2004, these were offered with street and dirt wheel set ups. They were basicaly SX models with a factory street wheel/tire package. Used the 4-speed, but swapping to a 6-speed would be easy. Had a 320mm front brake and a 310mm rear brake. Not street legal out of the box, but nice on the track.

450 and 525 SMR- Low oil capacity, not street legal, no lights, race-specific supermoto. Has a 6-speed, 450 has 310mm/220mm brakes. 525 production was stopped in '05, it had 320mm/310mm brakes.

625 SMC- Street legal, high oil capacity (same as the Duke II, therefore same maintenance intervals), lower weight, smaller tank, more race-oriented street legal LC4 powered bike with electric and kick start. 5-speed and 320mm/220mm brakes.

660 SMC - Similar to the 625 SMC, but with 654cc. No electric start, no oil in frame, so more frequent maintenance is needed. Only available in Europe (except for a few that have trickled into the country), so don't bother worrying about this model. 320mm/220mm brakes and 5-speed.

640 LC4 Supermoto - Basically a more street-oriented version of the 625 SMC. Don't let the numbers fool you, even though it is called a "640", it is 625 cc. This bike has a larger tank, better seat, more comfort, less peformance. Basically, you could think of it as a long-travel suspension version of the Duke, with more dirt-bike styled plastics. Has passenger pegs and 320mm/220mm brakes.

690 SMC- Has the 654cc motor. Compared to the 640, it is a bit more powerful and about 20lbs lighter. Has 320mm/240mm brakes. Fuel capacity is up by about 0.7 gallons. Also sports a 6-speed. One of the lowest maintenance schedules of the KTMs (3K mile oil changes and 6K mile valve interval).

690 SMR- Same motor as the 690 SMC. About 32lbs heavier than the SMC. The design has more edges and bodywork than the typical dirtbike-styled SM. It is a little more street oriented in the design, having a slightly larger gas tank. 320mm/240mm brakes.

OTHER KTM STUFF:
All 520/525/530 models are actually 510ccs.
For their 510cc motors, KTM actually increased the stroke only over the 450, giving it a boost in torque but decreasing revving ability.
All 505 modes are actually only 477ccs.
Most models switched to fuel injection between 2008 and 2009.

Anyways, if you guys spotted any errors or have anything to add please feel free to post it. I want this thread to be informative and correct so that people can get all of the info on KTM sumos in one easy place.

See less See more
#2 ·
Good info great post. With all the models that KTM offers, God knows it can get confusing trying to decide which one is the right one for yourself. This definately helps.

#4 ·
Consider it "Stickied"

#7 ·
The 2-smokers still have yet to see fuel injection, but rumors circling say that the system in development still needs work before it will be offered. So far this has been the only information I have been able to find on the 2010 KTM lineup, any assistance would be much appreciated.

#9 · (Edited)
I put this together over on SMJ and thought I would post it here as well.

I'm trying to build a guide to the KTM supermotos, because a lot of the information seems to be scattered. I would like to go over all of the model differences and talk about the street capabilities of each so that people trying to choose a KTM can find all of the right stuff in the same place. Please help contribute to this thread of knowledge, and I will do my best to stay on top of editing all of the stuff into my original post so that it is all available from the top.

450 and 505 SX- One to avoid for street use, but as KTM's motocross offering they can make a good track-only choice. With a 4-speed and 260mm/220mm, they really are not going to be street friendly. To my knowledge, the 505 was stopped in 2008. The carbureted, twin cam 450SX-F was a four speed until 2010 when it received a 5th gear. They made them until the 2012 model year. The twin cam 505 was made as a 4 speed in 2008 & 2009 as both an SX-F & XC-F.

450 and 530 EXC- Probably the most notable of the KTM bikes used for conversions. Street legal from the factory. Feature the widest ratios of the dirt bike 6-speeds, so if converting a KTM for highway use this is likely to be your best bet. In 2008, the RFS (450: 89x72mm) motor was switched for the LC4 (450: 95x63.4mm). The increase in bore and decreased stroke gave it more top end revs and hp. The bore/stroke ratio stayed the same from 525 to the 530 model. The LC4 was a totally different engine platform. The 450/530 EXC was an XC4 engine family.

450 and 505 XC- Would take a good bit of stuff to put this one on the road, it is seen more as the compromise bike for someone who wants to race both woods and motocross. With a 5-speed and 260mm/220mm brakes, it really is not cut out for road duty without some improvements.

450 and 530 XC-W- These are the pure woods racer models of the lineup. It may look like an XC, but that seems to be in name only. The 6-speed is the same as the EXC but with lower sprockets and it is not street legal out of the box, but it does come with lights and the engine is not choked up with emissions stuff. Front suspension is open-cartridge with a machined triple clamp. Rear suspension geometry is improved over the XC and is adjustable.

450 and 525 SMC- Production stopped in 2004, these were offered with street and dirt wheel set ups. They were basicaly SX models with a factory street wheel/tire package. Used the 4-speed, but swapping to a 6-speed would be easy. Had a 320mm front brake and a 310mm rear brake. Not street legal out of the box, but nice on the track.

450 and 525 SMR- Low oil capacity, not street legal, no lights, race-specific supermoto. Has a 6-speed, 450 has 310mm/220mm brakes. 525 production was stopped in '05, it had 320mm/310mm brakes.

625 SMC- Street legal, high oil capacity (same as the Duke II, therefore same maintenance intervals), lower weight, smaller tank, more race-oriented street legal LC4 powered bike with electric and kick start. 5-speed and 320mm/220mm brakes.

660 SMC - Similar to the 625 SMC, but with 654cc. No electric start, no oil in frame, so more frequent maintenance is needed. Only available in Europe (except for a few that have trickled into the country), so don't bother worrying about this model. 320mm/220mm brakes and 5-speed.

640 LC4 Supermoto - Basically a more street-oriented version of the 625 SMC. Don't let the numbers fool you, even though it is called a "640", it is 625 cc. This bike has a larger tank, better seat, more comfort, less peformance. Basically, you could think of it as a long-travel suspension version of the Duke, with more dirt-bike styled plastics. Has passenger pegs and 320mm/220mm brakes.

690 SMC- Has the 654cc motor. Compared to the 640, it is a bit more powerful and about 20lbs lighter. Has 320mm/240mm brakes. Fuel capacity is up by about 0.7 gallons. Also sports a 6-speed. One of the lowest maintenance schedules of the KTMs (3K mile oil changes and 6K mile valve interval).

690 SMR- Same motor as the 690 SMC. About 32lbs heavier than the SMC. The design has more edges and bodywork than the typical dirtbike-styled SM. It is a little more street oriented in the design, having a slightly larger gas tank. 320mm/240mm brakes.

OTHER KTM STUFF:
All 520/525/530 models are actually 510ccs. As well as 500 EXC 2012-2014
For their 510cc motors, KTM actually increased the stroke only over the 450, giving it a boost in torque but decreasing revving ability.
All 505 modes are actually only 477ccs.Bored and stroked 450's
Most models switched to fuel injection between 2008 and 2009. Aside from the LC4 getting fuel injection in 2008, the First fuel injected Single cyl dirt bike was the 250 & 350SX-F in 2011, not 2008/2009. The EXC/XC-W line didn't become fuel injected until 2012

Anyways, if you guys spotted any errors or have anything to add please feel free to post it. I want this thread to be informative and correct so that people can get all of the info on KTM sumos in one easy place.
There are a few errors with this post. I'll do what I can in the upcoming days to clarify them. There is also a new generation of EXC/XC-W that began in 2012.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.