Sport Bikes banner

Help Bleeding Brakes

2K views 29 replies 16 participants last post by  jk750 
#1 ·
I was bleeding my front brakes and while I was trying to bleed out the brake fluid some sucked back in and now the brake lever is gone flat, I cant press it all its like its not connected to anything it just goes in with no pressure.

Can anyone help please thank you?

#2 ·
You have air in the line.

The easy way is to drop $40 on a bleeder, but you can do it by hand.

It may take several hundred pumps of the lever, but it will eventually firm up. Once it does, pump it until it gets as hard as possible, then bleed it.

Just keep pumping, it won't feel like anything is happening, but at some point it should pump up

#3 ·
Keep pumping, it'll build pressure eventually. Sometimes it just takes longer.

#4 ·
You have air in the line, pump it up till you get some pressure, crack the bleeder without letting loose of the lever to let the air out, close bleeder, repeat till air no longer comes out. Make sure to watch reservoir and add fluid as needed. I attach a piece of clear tubing (like for fish tanks) on the bleeder to direct it to a container.

#5 ·
Bleeding brakes can be a frustrating job... But it just takes some patience and a bit of monotony. A brake bleeder will definitely make the job easier, but it's not necessary.

If you have a jar with a lid, a vacuum, a bit of tubing, and some tape to seal leaks you can make your own bleeder for free. I put one together in under 5 minutes once my hand pump bleeder broke, and it works way better than any hand pump one I've used. Just turn it on, make sure the fluid stays topped off, and let the vacuum do the work for you. I'll never go back to a hand pump bleeder again.

Video (click picture):

Linky if clicking on picture doesn't work.

#6 ·
Argh, im really frustrated now. I think I just didnt close the valve fast enough before letting go of the brake lever.

I'm just going to call the mechanic tomorrow to pick it up and vacumn out the line with a machine im too irritated.

#8 ·
Patience young grasshopper. Keep with it and eventually you'll get the air out. No need to call a mechanic. It's not a complicated job... It's just a frustrating job that feels like it will never end. I've bleed brakes countless times, and it still feels like I will never get the air bubbles out sometimes (well when doing by hand, that is). However, if you stick with it, they'll come out.

#9 ·
You really don't need a pump to bleed brakes. Once you've done it a few times you can it all by yourself in just five to ten minutes per caliper. On most bikes I've seen you can reach the lever and bleeder by yourself.

Heck, you can even bleed your cars brakes in under 2 hours by yourself. But that is using a different method called gravity bleeding, but it gives you a rock hard pedal feel.

#12 · (Edited)
Have you ever bled brakes before?

Super easy.

1 - Pull the cap off your brake res.
2 - Fill it up with brake fluid.
3 - Put your clear tubing on your right caliper
4 - Put wrench on bleeder
5 - Push in brake lever
6 - Open bleeder
7 - Watch bubbles in tube
8 - Close bleeder
9 - Release brake lever
10 - Repeat steps 5 through 9 until you don't see bubbles
11 - Move tubing and wrench to left side and repeat steps 5 through 10. When you're done with the left side, do the right side one more time (usually good). If you really screwed it up, you may have to go side to side a couple of times.

If your lever doesn't firm up, put lots and lots of rags around parts near the master cylinder, put a wrench on the banjo bolt, pull in the lever and crack the banjo bolt open, close the banjo, release the lever

Fill up your cup every two or three lever pulls.

It's best to do it with a friend. Use the words, "in" and "out" to describe the lever action.

One last tip, I usually start by pulling the calipers off the bike and pushing the pads/pistons into the caliper.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.