Sport Bikes banner

New Michelin Pilot Power 3 tires

33K views 86 replies 27 participants last post by  Tripped1 
#1 ·
Supposed to replace the Pures. I'm interested to see how well they perform. Lots of tread, so they may do well in the wet.

SBTG is supposed to put out a video review of them soon.

See less See more
#51 · (Edited)
I have over 6k on the q2s on my bike now. Ill probably get another 1 or 2 k out of them. I liked the 2cts and will probably try these pp3s next.

I also don't do any burnouts... Very few wheelies no clutch ups. I ride year around ... It was 32 this morning but I ride when it's as low as 20's. Don't see it get colder here much. My bike is still stock gearing and I had 3300 miles on my metzlers before I replaced them. I am now around 9400 or so miles on the bike. I only got 1 track day out of this set so that helps also. I also make sure I check pressure regular.... You would be amazed at how much pressure changes with temp.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#67 ·
Well I can't speak for others but my current bike (2012 S1000RR) had the K5 on it stock. I changed those tires at 3300 miles. I would have gotten more out of them but I had a track day comming and was getting close to the wear bars.... Didn't wanna fail tech. I replaced those K5's with Q2's and have not changed the tires again yet. I currently have a little over 9400 miles on the bike with stock gearing and all so it should be accurate. I will probably get a couple more thousand miles out of this set before I change them because I'm not even touching the wear bars yet. This means I have 6k miles on the now and plan on at least 8k before changing them.

I am sure there are people that are just figuring it wrong and such but I know first hand it can be done.

#71 ·
Rofl I know it's hard to tell from my pic but I'm a BIG dude. The 14 had lots of power but the throttle had a good range making it easy to control. Also a good bit of highway travel might be a helping factor. Not to many stop and go stuff. With the 14 once in 6th I hardly ever downshifted..... The torque allowed me to just give some throttle and leave most without shifting. (Obviously not talking about racing people just passing.). The S1k does a fine job of it also.

#73 ·
OK, I'm assuming everybody is being straight up and not ragging just to get a flame war started. Tire wear is a function of heat and torque. Torgue from the wheel turning is affected by the surface you are pushing against, the vector change(distance over time.....Going 100 cm's in 1/100 of a second creates more stress AND temperature then going 50 cm's in 5/100 of a second) aka acceleration and any squirm in the tire. Racing tires with their soft sidewalls squirm more then street tires.
I would suggest you practice your starts and stops. Smooth is important. Not just to your tires but a hoast of other bits work better if abrupt vector changes are avoided.
You should check your tire pressure every time you stop for a break if you are riding a distance. For commuting, check every time you get back on to go someplace else.
Adjust your ride height. Being too high on one end upsets not just your suspension (tires are a BIG part of your suspension) but the amount and direction of the force being applied to the tires.
Heat is the big tire killer. OTR drivers that own their rigs almost always pay to put Nitrogen in their truck tires. My brother claims his tires run 20% cooler and wear 20% longer. I'm thinking about trying it in my bike. The closest 'pure' gas station with 93 gas is only a mile or so from a truck stop that has nitrogen tanks. :skirt

#76 ·
My vfr, I get 2000 mile off a PPower rear, 5,000 mile off a Proad 2, 3000 mile off a rear BT21, 4,000 mile off a Z6 or perillie, and thats running 42/43 psi.

Lots of factors with tire wear, mainly how the tire is used, but pressure does factor, I drop down to the low 30's, wear would probably double.

#77 ·
I started reading this, but wasn't prepared to go through 6 pages... I have the Pures on my 1098 and have been really happy with them. I must have around 5000kms on them, and could still put 3 hard Sunday's in.

I'm looking forward to the new series. I'm also not too concerned with the price. (as long as it's not retarded)

I've crashed twice on Bridgestones, and no matter how good they may be, or affordable, I just won't run them again!!!:read

#78 · (Edited)
I feel the same way about Michelins, for the same reason. If you gave me a brand new set, I would fill them with dirt and grow flowers in them. I'm a Metzler guy. Metzlers are NOT cheap, never have been.
I'm running S20 Battle Axes because they were cheap!. $219 for a set. With shipping and fondling it was just under 250$. BS (Bridgestone, you kids call them 'stones'?) are not the best tires ever made but they are not the worst either. That would be either Michelin or Dunlop. My brother has something called 'Shinkos' on his Bandit 1250 and they are really bad. I was following him one day and he tried for a 100 degree turn from a stop sign and the tire slid right out from under him. That was from a standstill. It might have been him, those big Bandits are tourqe monsters but the tire Should have held, even though it was cold.:cereal
I took an after washing picture and noticed the rear tire still had the sticker on it. That was after 130 miles so if the paper was not worn through, I doubt that the tire was getting a lot of wear. It's gone now, did 450 miles last weekend and will do more this weekend.:)

#82 ·
Different strokes for different folks. Just because I like Metzlers doesn't make it 'THE' tire for you. Certain bikes seem to prefer certain tires, except when ridden by different folks. The truth is there is no perfect tire, there is only personal preference. Maverick, it's been decades, I really don't remember. The tires I took off the FZ6 I bought first of the year were Dunlop Q2's. They were down to the steel and still holding air, which is good, I suppose. I expect to get 6K miles out of the S20's. If I don't I'll be disappointed. I'll be able to replace them with Z8's, since my money will be better by June. Unless, of course, the back goes 8K or better and the front looks good. In which case I'll buy a new back tire and wait until the front starts to go to switch to the Z8's. I really don't like replacing just one but one of the local guys tells me with the new tires, it is ok, so long as you have enough tread pattern on the front. Current motorcycle tires are designed to work as a team, with the front clearing a path for the rear.
The tire tests done by the bike rags are all subjective. Someone needs to build a tire test machine that will test a tire for traction (direct and tanjant/skidding) and heat and wear.
A long pole powered by an electric motor that has the tire mounted on one end, You spin it around and the insturments mounted in the pole measure the tire's behavior. It would have no relationship of how that tire behaved on any particular motorcycle but it would produce a baseline measurement that allowed tires to be compared to each other in a laboratory setting.
DOT does that for the tires on other vehicles.
Here is a URL with reader submitted ratings. You can add yours;
Best Motorcycle Tire Miles and Rating

Still no science there. It would be interesting to compare sales figures to these ratings.
Chicken/Egg thangie.

#86 ·
Eurosport cycles of Fort Worth is having a track day at Cresson (MSRC). Some of my friends tell me it is their favorate track day of the year. They only have 2 levels... level 1 is for people new to the track and has an instructor. Level 2 is for the rest of us to go play and have fun. 30 minute sessions all day long and I am told that it usually dont have a whole bunch of people out there. They wont allow more than 40 bikes in a level but I am told it is usually less than 20. Im excited because this is my first time back on the Cresson track this year. It runs $150 and you can call them and reserve a spot and pay or just do it at the track. You should come out! We would be happy to have you hang with us.

We also have some guys/girls riding with Ridesmart over the weekend out there... Or maybe it is Extream trackdays... IDK.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.