Sport Bikes banner

New Michelin Pilot Power 3 tires

33K views 86 replies 27 participants last post by  Tripped1 
#1 ·
Supposed to replace the Pures. I'm interested to see how well they perform. Lots of tread, so they may do well in the wet.

SBTG is supposed to put out a video review of them soon.

See less See more
#3 ·
Interesting. My zx14 needs a new front tire and I've been debating about going with another Pilot Road or a Pilot Power. Although I think this tire might be a little too track oriented if it's meant to replace the Pures. I'll be watching the reviews as well.

#5 ·
I had a set on my now sold ducati 900...and they cope really well on our awful Irish roads, which are more often than not....more wet than dry. I was still able to achieve full 'dangle angle' in the rain, as long as they were well warmed up. Very predictable with great feedback....I would highly recommend them.:)

#9 ·
the "Pure" name wasn't very popular, so they've dropped the name. but these are basically a version 2.0 of the Pures. just like how the Power One was the new version of the Power Race.

Pilot Power though is a name synonymous with high performance. glad Michelin went back to that name.

#18 ·
Just tossing in that I had a really really good experience with the Pilot Road 3s on my ZX10R. They're only $15-20 more per tire than the Pilot Powers and I had 6,000 miles on the rear of my ZX10R and they STILL had really good tread. I'm not a knee dragger by any means, but I had plenty of fun on them and never felt them dance around on me. I liked them so much that it wasn't even a question as to what tires to get when I picked up my Z1000. Even in the 40 degree cold they still provide excellent grip and I know they'll last just as long if not longer than the set I had my ZX10R.

If anybody is looking for a new set of good street tires I'd point them at the Road 3s before anything else. They are fantastic in the rain (I've ridden them many times in the rain)and they work great in the dry. Fantastic street tire.

Check this article out

Michelin Pilot Road 3 1800-mile tyre review - Features - Visordown

#23 ·
That tread doesn't carry all the way to the edge which makes a big difference for rain.... Same as the diablos I have and for me- way more squirrelly in the rain than I was used to. And when they start to square it gets really fun.

Just a thought for you.

#28 · (Edited)

From Sportbiketrackgear:

Michelin Pilot Power 3 Rear Tire

The Michelin Power 3 Tires are a new HyperSport, Sportbike tire that will work well on the street as well as for track day riders in the novice and intermediate levels.

All New dual compound sportbike street tire:

2CT+ on rear tire enhances tread rigidity and cornering stability: Extends harder compound underneath the softer shoulder compound for added cornering stability ¿ especially when accelerating out of turns.
Casing profile optimized for excellent feedback and handling
All-new compounds for maximum wet grip: more than 4.5 seconds per lap faster on a wet track than MICHELIN® Pilot® Power 2CT tires.
Semi slick tread design maximizes contact patch for excellent dry grip: more than 4 seconds faster on a dry track than MICHELIN® Pilot Power 2CT tires.
20% more tread life vs. MICHELIN® Pilot® Power 2CT tires.

Same chart for the Power 2CT:

#42 ·
I narrowed it down to these two tires as well. They both sound like they would be great tires....but I'm going to pay the extra for the Michelins just so I can try out the latest and greatest. If they end up not being all they are cracked up to be, then I will save my money on the next set

#47 ·
I've run pp2ct on my last two bikes and I commute on it daily and I got good life out of them. My rear I've put 4k on and they already had a thousand or two when I got the bike and they show no wear.

My fronts need to be replaced and seeing as its supposed to have 20% more tread and its 8 dollars more from sptg why not try them.

#48 · (Edited)
there is no way you are anywhere close to being accurate on those miles calculations. I've never had a tire that i didn't burn through in 2800- 3200 miles. it didn't matter how easy I rode the bike either.
I've worn through probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 15-20% of a pilot power rear tire in just one weekend of riding before which was about 650-700 miles.

if I tried to go as far as some of you claim you do I'd be all the way through the second set

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.