Sport Bikes banner

Pressure Drop in New Unridden Tire

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  eR1c. 
#1 ·
So I just slapped on a pair of new shoes two weeks ago and I THOUGHT that I inflated both tires to spec. I couldn't ride last weekend because of weather, so this morning was the first opportunity to go for a scoot. When I went to check the PSI pre-ride just to make sure, the rear had around 17 PSI less than what I would've normally had it at, which seemed really weird since it's a brand new, unridden tire. I checked the valve stem for leaks with some soapy water and it seems sealed.

What else could cause such a drop, if in fact it did occurr (which I can't say for sure it did because I MAY have not inflated it to spec after installing the wheel)?

Obviously I'm not riding today so I re-inflated the tire and will moniter it, but any input anyone can provide will be appreciated.

Thanks.

#2 ·
here's my suggestion.
re inflate the tire to a high pressure.
do a soap and water check on every thing, rim, tire, valve, valve stem, everything.
could be an intermittent leaking valve stem, dirt on the rim making the tire not seal, or natural defect in the tire leaking.
with the tire all soapy, grab stuff and wiggle it, see if you can get it to leak. wiggle the valve stem, pinch (pinch as in with both hands, as hard as you can) the tire all the way around see if you get any bubbles.
if you still get nothing, are there any neighbourhood kids?

#3 ·
No apparent leaks and the bike stays parked indoors. I also forgot that I went on a test ride around the neighborhood after reinstalling the wheel so I looked over the entire tire. Again nothing. I probably forgot that I didn't inflate it to spec and then got surporised this morning. Sucks missing out on a ride today due to my own negligence, if that is what indeed is the issue. But you gotta play it safe. Like I said, I'll keep checking.

#5 ·
Well it looks as if I simply forgot to inflate the rear tire to spec. :facepalm I've been monitering it and it's staying inflated. This is a relief because I soaped everything down and didn't see any leaks anywhere so if it continued to lose pressure than back to the shop the wheel goes. Only thing that sucks is that I missed out on good riding weather yesterday due to my absent-mindedness.

Man getting old sucks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.