Sport Bikes banner

About as rare as race reps get ..

2K views 24 replies 16 participants last post by  uncalcetindelana 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Bikes are meant to be ridden, not displayed. People who collect cars and motorcycles have far too much self-control. I could never store a vehicle in the garage just to show my friends. For example, eBay is riddled with used Lamborghinis that have less than 1,000 miles on them. Look, if you can afford to buy a $300,000 sports car, you can afford the insane cost of fueling and maintaining it.

Don't ever give me an original 69 Shelby GT500. I will be doing doughnuts on my lawn with it.

#6 ·
there's well more than one video of people tracking them, and a few I've seen of one guy racing his.

people DO flog on rare machines, but those people are the ones who could afford to buy two of em.

#4 ·
I do like a collectable . I have many things unused still in box . Futurama toys - a limited edition xmas bauble, 2 boxes of toy cars by corgi made for the olympics ,and probably the cleanest lowest miles 05 superduke in the UK . I had to change the front tyre recently ,, not through wear .. it had degraded with age haha I dont need to ride it I have other bikes to ride .

#7 ·
I also agree with the "if I own it, I'm going to drive/ride it" sentiment...

But what about the guys like jay leno, who has one of everything? I'm sure he drives/rides everything he owns... but he's got so damn many that nothing except his favorite is going to be taken out more than once every month or two.

What a good problem to have....

#10 ·
I've met Jay Leno in a parking lot before a California car meet. We were meeting up at the end of some small car show in some strip mall parking lot when he rolled in late. There's a video on Youtube of it somewhere, but he was driving a McLaren F1. He showed us around it for a couple minutes, then left. Anyone that can drive around a million dollar car just for the hell of it is super mega awesome in my book.

PS found one of the videos. The guy 13 seconds in with the blue shirt is me.

#12 ·
I used to work for a guy that owns a ton of very rare cars, and has a museum of sorts that he keeps them in. Many of them were super low miles, unrestored survivors. A 1 of 300 1953 Corvette (the first year), A 65 Corvette 396 turbo jet convertible with under 25k miles, an original 289 shelby cobra, a 60 Impala Convertible with 15k miles, a 1 of 100 1935 Auburn Boattail Speedster (one of 2 right hand drive), a '37 Packard Phaeton Limousine Convertible originally owned by Bette Davis, and the list goes on and on.

He also drives ALL of his cars, but like someone mentioned when you have more cars than days in the month they dont get a ton of miles. He actually kept a list of all the cars with the dates he drove them, and if one hadn't moved in a month he'd take it for a quick spin to keep it in tune, but generally not more than 10 miles or so. There's just not enough time to drive them all very much. With bikes being less expensive it's easier to collect even more of them, and the problem gets worse. It's an awful problem to have.

#13 ·
But you couldn’t ride an MGS-01 every day, they’re not street legal. And from the review I read, they are not exceptional bikes track bikes either. Shaft drive, only 120ish hp, and relatively heavy do not make for fast laps... but it sure is pretty, so it would make sense that collectors would snatch them up just to look at them.

#21 ·
I could also easily build afar better car than a 5 million dollar shelby cobra.

does not mean I wouldn't buy an original cobra.

#22 ·
meh, doesn't interest me.... but there are plenty of bikes i would LOVE to own if i had cash to blow and YES i would definitely ride em... maybe not track em, but i sure as heck would street em. like..... mv agusta tamburini, F4 Veltro, or even the F4 CC..... instant wood!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.