Sport Bikes banner

Why are 1/4 mile times on SS 1000s not dropping?

10K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  SPOOLN GSXR 
#1 ·
I've been curious about this. Why are the 1/4 mile times and roll-on times going up on a lot of new 1000s? Look at sportrider.com

Kawasaki Motorcycle Performance Numbers & Kawasaki Street Bike Quarter Mile Times at Sport Rider

The 05 ZX10R ran the 1/4 in 9.78. The 11 ZX10R needed 10.08. I know that the 2011 ZX10R makes more power and is a better bike...so what gives?

The story is the same with a lot of other new 1000s.

I know 1/4 mile times really don't matter much, I was just curious if anybody knew why they were getting worse.

#2 ·
my guess would be it's gearing ratios has changed to meet engine tune demands based on race notes from real world testing.
and not to mention you could easily get both of those numbers from one run to the next on both of those bikes. depends on how good of a rider is that's riding it.

#3 ·
Some testers have more balls and more skill.
There is also track temperature, altitude, and traction.

In my humble opinion, don't pay any attention to lap times or quarter mile times in comparison tests. Its not what the bike is capable of, its what the testers are capable of on that particular bike. A bike which they haven't had enough time to fully familiarize themselves with or dial in. If anything those numbers probably correlate the most strongly with "Easy to ride" factor.

#9 ·
This.
The limits that are being hit are in the chassis design. They are designed to be nimble so shorter wheel base is desired.
Do nothing more than lower the bike and extend the swing arm and you'll shave a lot of time on the 1/4 run as more power can be applied with out the thing wanting to wheelie.

#5 ·
does it really matter when stock bikes already can do 10s out of the box.

#8 ·
All of the super sports have similar geometry...

.....and none of them are well suited to 1/4 miles. They are limited by the chassis not the motors.

#10 ·
I'll be argumentative today on the geometry issue.

Swingarms are getting longer - good for drag racing. Plus, shocks are getting better adjustment. This can only help chassis set up.

To the best of my knowledge, they strap the front ends, so the front geometry is a non-factor.

There's only three things that make sense to me:

One - New liter bikes have less torque. Torque wins drag races. It's one of two reasons why the last time I saw a prostock Suzuki motor, it was based on a GS motor, not a GSXR.

Two - Track condition. It's a wild card. I imagine most magazines test in CA. With all of the crazy weather in CA, I can't imagine the tracks being consistent from year to year.

Three - I'm assuming that magazines do their 1/4 miles tests with take-offs from "roadrace" track testing. Tires are stiffer today than they were way back when. Dropping air pressure will still have a relatively stiff tire.

You would really need to get a 05 ZX10 for example and run it on the track with a new S1000RR on the same day to see if it's bike or some other factor.

#11 ·
I'll be argumentative today on the geometry issue.

Swingarms are getting longer - good for drag racing. Plus, shocks are getting better adjustment. This can only help chassis set up.

To the best of my knowledge, they strap the front ends, so the front geometry is a non-factor.

There's only three things that make sense to me:

One - New liter bikes have less torque. Torque wins drag races. It's one of two reasons why the last time I saw a prostock Suzuki motor, it was based on a GS motor, not a GSXR.

Two - Track condition. It's a wild card. I imagine most magazines test in CA. With all of the crazy weather in CA, I can't imagine the tracks being consistent from year to year.

Three - I'm assuming that magazines do their 1/4 miles tests with take-offs from "roadrace" track testing. Tires are stiffer today than they were way back when. Dropping air pressure will still have a relatively stiff tire.

You would really need to get a 05 ZX10 for example and run it on the track with a new S1000RR on the same day to see if it's bike or some other factor.
Unless you are talking a stretched bike strapping doesn't do a lot. Seventy-foot pounds with an a 55" wheelbase means wheelie, and about all of the 1000cc bikes and up can pull it.

For reference I've spent a LOT of time at drag strips, both two wheel and four wheel.

Reactions: scythe08
#12 ·
Bikes aren't getting slower. Go look at the Mirock series or go talk to Brock Davidson. We are doing more with less. The stock setups aren't ideal but, don't get it twisted. WHP wins races with sportbikes and trap speeds back that up. We aren't too worried about torque because we are taking off at such high rpms. Torque just makes them easier to launch. Also an 05' ZX-10R can't run with a S1000RR. Brock Davidson proved that in both stock wheelbase and stretched form. The fastest times ever ran on a stock motor 1000 was with the BMW. The articles below are about all the records the BMW set on it's debut into drag racing.

The long road trip to the short drag strip/BMW International Press Release : Dragbike Live.com

Brocks Performance: Horsepower Shootout: BMW S1000RR Vs. the World!

Brocks Performance: BMW S 1000 RR US Press Introduction

BMW S 1000RR to the 8th & 3rd power! : Dragbike Live.com

#14 · (Edited)
Bikes aren't getting slower. Go look at the Mirock series or go talk to Brock Davidson. We are doing more with less. The stock setups aren't ideal but, don't get it twisted. WHP wins races with sportbikes and trap speeds back that up. We aren't too worried about torque because we are taking off at such high rpms. Torque just makes them easier to launch. Also an 05' ZX-10R can't run with a S1000RR. Brock Davidson proved that in both stock wheelbase and stretched form. The fastest times ever ran on a stock motor 1000 was with the BMW. The articles below are about all the records the BMW set on it's debut into drag racing.

Brocks Performance: Horsepower Shootout: BMW S1000RR Vs. the World!
whoever rode the bikes did it no justice. only a 10.04 with a 178.8 hp bike? weak sauce.

rickey gadson got a stock 05 R6 in the 9's with no mods done to it.

Today, in Palmdale, California, WITH A 25 MPH HEAD/CROSS WIND, in front of all the Cycle World editors and representatives of Ducati, Honda, Triunph, Suzuki, Kawasaki, and Yamaha, Rickey G does the impossible.In a test for Cycle World for the best Middle Weight bike out, Dragracing has now experienced it's first BONE STOCK 9 second 600 pass..... Or passes!!! Guess what....... It wasn't on a Kawasaki. The Yamaha R6, ran a BLISTERING 9.93@135mph, backed up by a 9.98@135mph. The numbers were.....
1.54 60'
4.17 330'
111mph 1/8mi.
9.93@135mph

NOTE, these bikes are the dictionary definition of stock. NO WEIGHT, stock pipes, -1 front sprocket, lowered, no race gas or motor work, and THAT'S IT!!!!

The test bikes included the Ducati 749, Triumph 650, Honda CBR 600RR, Suzuki GSXR 600, Kawasaki ZX-6R, and Yamaha R6. The test started with ALL the bikes at stock height. The Ducati went 10.71@127mph. The Triumph went 10.60@129mph( ). The Honda went 10.42@130mph. The Suzuki went 10.39@128mph. The Yamaha went 10.36@132. And last but not least, the Kawasaki went 10.34@132mph. What is the fastest you've ever seen a stock height 600 go??? i guarantee it isn't three tenths of those #'s!!!

They then decided to take the two fastest bikes and lower them. That was the Yamaha and the Kawasaki. The Suzuki was down on horsepower and had the second to lowest mph with near flawless passes, while the Kawi and the Yamaha were the only two bike that he could not keep on the ground in first gear. These factors are what made the Kawi and the Yamaha the chosen bikes.

With 2" ground clearance, the first pass for the Kawasaki was a 10.16, with a 1.55 60', but the shock was hitting the swingarm so they had to raise it back up. Then, 4 passes later, with a 1.58 60' and a 4.27 330', the Kawi went 10.02@135mph. The first pass for the Yamaha was 10.12. Then 3 passes later, with a 1.55 60' and a 4.23 330', the Yamaha went 9.98@135mph. Them came back and went a 1.54 60' and a 4.17 330', and went 9.93@135.

Now, this is getting Crazy!!!! I honestly can't believe that a stock 600 went 9's. I wish there was still a 600ss class. If these bikes were setup S/S legally, they will go 9.50's easy!!!!

Stay tuned fellas, Rickey Gadson will go to Cali next month to test ALL the new 1000's!!!! THAT should be interesting!!!!

#21 ·
It's great to be well rounded. I've learned much from the track and the strip. Why not learn a skill that can be useful. You hear about so many folks looping their bike when if they learned throttle control they would have learned to just control the wheely. I ride dirt bikes, super motards, sportbikes, track bikes, drag bikes and on occasion a cruiser or touring bike. Hell I even ride pit bikes, mopeds and scooters from time to time. Something can be learned from all forms of motorcycling. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.