Sport Bikes banner

Judge the quality of advice - Rider resumes

30K views 44 replies 45 participants last post by  OUTINFRONT 
#1 ·
Please enter your riding resume in a post in this thread. I'll start:

Handle: RayOSV (Ray)

Age: old (with kids older than a lot of you, son with a Suzuki DL-650)

Bikes owned: early 80's moped during gas crisis , '00 sv650, '05 sv1000s

Squidly stuff: learned on a Honda 55 using my older cousin's permit at age 14, HS friend's Honda 250 Scrambler mainly used to "tow" a skateboard on the street (record was 42 mph with no helmet, no shoes, and shorts/t-shirts, no accidents), some track use of a Yamaha 350 2 stroke, some use of a late 60's BSA 650 (college roommate's). All of this was before M licensing and helmet laws.

Licensing/training/experience: private msf-like instruction from an ex-military instructor, current DL with M1 endorsement. 2 track days, over 80k street miles since '00, 2 0-mph drops, one low-speed high-side with minimal damage.

Gear: Zooni 2 piece perfed leather suit, Shoei X-12 helmet, Alpinestars SMX-Plus boots, Helimot gauntlet gloves, various textile and mesh jackets and pants for really hot days.

I don't leave the driveway without proper riding gear.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Handle: Woodrow(Phil)

Bikes owned: Not including the various dirtbikes/atv's CR 80/125/250 Fourtrax 250's and Bayou 220, 96 ZX6R, 08 ZZR600.

Squidly stuff: I did the normal stupid stuff in my early mid 20's like riding like a dumbass in and out of traffic at high rates of speed. Rode a 45 mile stretch of highway at 150+mph at 3 am in the morning. Since then I have grown up and wised up.

Licensing/training/experience: MSF and M Endorsement.
In 1995 I rode a friends Ninja 250 for 6-7 months and took the MSF course. After wards, I decided to buy a ZX6R after my first riding season. I loved the bike. I have raced at the drag strip and do a lot of street riding. Riding in the Washington DC metro area is a little challenging. Also love riding the twisty back roads in Northern/Western Va. I decided to stay with a 600 and now enjoying my ZZR600. I have wrenched on all my bikes except dyno tuning my Ninja. I have probably ridden 45-50,000 miles over the years. Wife and I ride often and when we can usually consisting of 1-2 hour trips on the back roads plus riding around town to dinner,bike nights,movies,etc.

Gear:
Mine
Scorpion EXO 400
Joe Rocket UFO Solid & Ballistic mesh jackets, Fieldsheer riding jacket
Fieldsheer Mercury 2.0 pants
Alpinestars SMX-6 gloves
Speed And Strength Moment of Truth boot.

Wife's gear
HJC Paradox
Alpine Stars SMX-6 Gloves
Joe Rocket Lotus 2.0 jacket

We always wear a minimum of helmet, jacket, gloves, boots, jeans,etc. If I go on a spirited ride i wear my pants.

#3 · (Edited)
Handle: FlatlandBusa (John)

Current bikes: '06 EX250, '08 Hayabusa

Past bikes: '79 Honda trail 90, '95 Kawasaki KLR250, '98 GSXR600, '03 Honda CBR954

Squidly stuff: 18,000 miles on gravel roads with a Honda trail 90 between the age of 12 and 15. Way to much time on the front or back wheel of the 954, crashed said 954 on way back to work with no gear (spent 2 months regrowing skin)

Licensing/training/experience: M endorsement; MSF basic riders course; MSF experienced riders course; lots of hours on dirt; 35,000 street miles and counting.

My gear,

Icon main frame or Icon airframe or hjc cl15 helmets
Icon timax or First Gear jacket
Cortech scarab RR gloves
Red wing or Dr Martin over the ankle boots

Wife's gear,

Icon alliance SS or hjc cl15 helmet
Cortech LRX jacket
Icon hooligan gloves (she refuses to wear a cuff glove)
Dr Martin over the ankle boots

#4 · (Edited)
binx_19 (Chris)

Bikes: 2005 ZX6R (track bike), 2008 Ninja 250 (self pleasure), 2009 ZX14 (tour beast)
Started: March 2005
Total Miles: ZX6R 20,937; 250R 3,227; ZX14 2,287
Education: Track Orientation school + 13 Track Days
Gear: Enough to walk away from the most brutal of crashes.
Books (highly recommended):
Total Control
Riding in the Zone
Sport Riding Techniques
Twist of the Wrist 1 and 2
Smooth Riding the Pridmore way.
First Bike: ZX6R, not recommended from experience.
License: Motorcycle Endorsement
Squidly Stuff: Only when I know it is safe. Got the ZX14 up to 149 mph in a secret location. Can you consider taking the 250R to maximum potential on the public roads squidly?

Track Days: 13 total
MAM Round 1: I learned how to ride in the rain, learned the lines in the rain, there was no expectation to push my limits and i enjoyed it a great learning experience, I agree with Jason Pridmore in learning in the rain.

MPH Round 1: Humbling experience I had 2 crashes going into turn 1. Both were from me not being comfortable with other riders around me, and I lost focus of where i was on the track, I have learned the most from those two experiences. When I exceed my limits mentally I target fixate instead of looking through the corner, both crashes were completely avoidable if i would have just looked through the corner.

MAM Round 2: I have now brought to my mind the conscious effort of enjoying the experience of track riding. Both days I went out to enjoy the ride, not wanting to have a repeat of Hastings. I took things slow and before I knew it allowing people in my personal space is no longer an issue.

MPH Round 2: September 18-19 Last track day of the year in Hastings Nebraska and it was a wonderful event, those from that area if you have not rode the bus yet you are completely missing out, the go-karts add-on were wonderful. But back to riding, i brought both bikes with me this weekend.

Ninja 250R, that was really fun to ride this bike on the track, somethings i need to change are the suspension, add clip-ons and rear sets. the straightaway power was very pathetic, but going through corners in 5th gear pinned was a fun task, most of the way around the track i never touched the brakes, but to keep the training going, when it was time to brake i would tap the brake lever with my pointer and middle fingers. the only thing i did was chop the throttle quick to get the front to dip and then roll back on to try to keep the momentum.

ZX-6R after riding the 250, this bike was amazing on the straights, i took things easy to start, knowing that i had just gotten off a bike that required twisting of the throttle to go through corners, now i am on a 636 with a 60 degree throttle(quick turn). i spent 3 sessions toying around and relearning the throttle control, while maintain the high corner speeds I got comfortable with on the 250, my 4th session on the 636 was my "bump" eval, i did not know at the time. the control riders played with me by passing me on practically every turn on the track to see how i would react to traffic. getting comfortable with traffic has been my biggest concern all year, i still hold back occasionally when others are around, but now that i have moved from beginner to intermediate, the "competition" will be at a higher level, therefore i no longer have to let off the throttle when I am behind someone.

Final Thoughts:
There is huge difference to how different driving my car or truck is to riding motorcycles. the amount of attention used on the motorcycle is astonishing, and again tomorrow night when I drive my truck home from work I will be reminded of how safe I feel operating it as opposed to operating one of the bikes.

EDIT:
Are you a new rider? This is what a 250R is capable of:

Reactions: PCHbreeze
#5 · (Edited)
-Handle: ANORXIC'51 (Christian)

-First season: May '10-August '10 (Season 1 recap)

-Bikes owned: 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R(~1100 mi), 2008 Suzuki GSX-R600(~3400 mi), 2008 Ducati 848(~21,000 mi and counting), 2003 Honda CBR600RR (2 days of track miles @ Barber)

-Squidly stuff: None. Seriously. Everytime I've been on a bike (be it on a friends' bike/my own/MSF course bike/track day instructors' bike) I've been in full gear, eager to learn, and have either had a motorcycle permit or motorcycle endorsement.

-Licensing-
*May 2010: MSF Basic Rider Course via Riders Edge @ Harley Davidson of Faribault, MN- Gained basic motorcycle operation knowledge on a Buell Blast which earned me my MC endorsement
*June 2013: CRA (Central Roadracing Association) New Rider weekend to gain my 2013 CRA Competition License

-Training-
*May '10: Rider Course.com ARC 'Intro to Track Riding' course at DCTC (250R)
*June '11: ZARS TrackSchool 1 at Brainerd International Raceway (GSX-R600)
*April '12: California Superbike School (Lvls 1 & 2) at Infineon Raceway (S1000RR)
*May '12: ZARS TrackSchool 2 at Road America (848)
*May '13: ZARS School of R.O.C.C. at Road America (848)
*June '13: CRA New Rider race school at BIR (848)

-Experience-
*Currently about 26,000 miles of street & track miles under my belt.
*Trackdays and/or school at each of the following road courses: BIR (Brainerd, MN), Infineon/Sears Point/Sonoma Raceway (Sonoma, CA), Road America (Elkhart Lake, WI), Barber Motorsports Park (Leeds, AL), MPH (Hastings, NE)
*Rider classification: ZARS-Advanced, NESBA-Intermediate, TrackAddix-Advanced, CRA-Novice

-Crash experience-
*August '10: Street accident at ~45 mph (motorcycle vs John Deere) which ended my first riding season.
*June '11: 40-50ish mph lowside in T12 @ BIR. Reteched and kept riding.
*August '12: Target fixation lowside @ ~40mph in T7 @ BIR. End of the 848's season

+Books+
*MSF Guide to Motorcycling Excellence
*Profiient Motorcycling- David Hough
*More Proficient Motorcycling- David Hough
*Total Control- Lee Parks
*Sport Riding Techniques-Nick Ienatsch
*A Twist of the Wrist- Keith Code
*A Twist of the Wrist II- Keith Code
*MotoGP Riding Techniques
*The Upper Half of the Motorcycle- Bernt Spiegel

+DVDs+
*Knee Dragging 101
*Knee Dragging 201
*MotoGP Riding Secrets
*A Twist of the Wrist II

-Gear:

+Helmets+
*Bell Star (Viper graphic) *retired*, Bell Star (Roland Sands Design 'C-Note'), Shoei X-12 ('BBoz'-Ben Bostrom replica *retired*, Suomy Excel (Wall Street graphic)

+Jackets+
*Dainese Racing leather jacket
*Joe Rocket Radar leather/mesh hybrid jacket

+Gloves+
*Held Phantoms, Held Titans, Teknic Xcelerators

+Pants+
*Icon Anthem jeans (Aramid reinforced), Shift Torque jeans (Kevlar reinforced), Sliders Kevlar Cargo 2.0 (Kevlar reinforced)

+Boots+
*Alpinestars SMX-Plus, Sidi Vertigo Corsa Air

+Suit+
*Dainese Laguna Seca Pro Estiva (perforated)

+Armor+
*Alpinestars armored compression shorts, Dainese Shield Air (slip-in back protector), Dainese Wave 11 w/ shoulder blades (strap-on back protector), Dainese Knee V (strap-on knee/shin protectors), Hearos ear plugs, RS Taichi Flex chest protector (4mm)

Closing advice: Try to take the advice found in the sticky threads as best you can. The members with years of experience have basically laid a blueprint out with tools needed to help new prospective riders get into this sport/hobby in the most favorable way. Thier goal is to help new riders become old riders.

Be safe, be aware, and be proactive. ATGATT= ALL the gear, ALL the time. Get professional instruction as soon as you can to nip bad habits in the bud. Never be "too good" for parking lot practice sessions to work on things. If you aren't having fun, re-evaluate why you are motorcycling!

-Christian

#6 ·
Handle: Justin726 (Justin)

Bikes owned (in order of ownership): 1907 Yamaha RD350, 2000 SV650, 1997 TL1000S, 2002 Honda VTX 1300 (curiser), 2003 Hayabusa, 1989 KX250, 2004 KX250

Squidly stuff: Had a Yamaha 3-wheeler and an early 70's dual sport while I was growing up. Wrecked my TL1000S going over backward durring a wheelie.

Licensing/training/experience: No official training although I know even I could benefit from it. Been street riding since I bought an old RD350 from my father-in-law in 1999, then quickly upgraded to a new 2000 SV650 shortly after I got my motorcycle license. Went through a couple other bikes rather quickly trying to find what I really liked. Ended up buying a brand new Busa in 2003 and have been on that ever since. I'm currently up to around 44-45K miles on the Busa. Started riding dirtbikes 2 years ago and have been racing them for the past year.

Gear: Shoei RF1000 helmet, Alpinestar leather jacket, Joe Rocket gauntlet gloves, rainsuit, and plenty of misc cold weather gear. And a good suply of earplugs which I use durring every ride. Also have a bag full of motocross gear.

#8 · (Edited)
Handle: HiSpeed48

Bikes Owned: '00 R6 (sold), '89 FZR600 (sold), 2007 CBR600RR (current)

First Started: Spring 2008

Squidly Stuff: Rode dirt bikes for a couple years. First street bike was my R6. I would not recommend starting on a 600cc bike.

Licensing/Training/Experience: took the MSF basic course before I owned a bike, and then got my motorcycle endorsement. I would always recommend that you take the MSF before you start riding. I’ve done 7 trackdays on a couple of different tracks. I was voted the “Smoothest Rider” in my level by the staff at one of the trackdays I attended. I read all the Keith Code books and other similar books. I haven’t had an accident on the street or track (or even a “drop”).

This is my 5th Season on a Sportbike (Updated Spring 2012)

Ride with the mindset that every car is trying to kill you.

#9 · (Edited)
Name: Tammy

First Street Bike/MC endorsement: 1989

Bikes: Honda CT70, Kaw EN450, '82 Suz GS1100E, '05 GSXR600, '07 GSXR750

Certs/Training: M/C endorsement for the State of Florida since '89, also for State of MS, MSF graduate (FL), XTYLine Motorcycle Road Racing Course.

Early years: My family has always had things with engines around (bikes, fast cars, 4x4s, snowmobiles, boats, 3-wheelers), so I was destined to be a motorhead from the start. As a kid I was exposed to motocross, since I grew up in the town where Redbud Trail is located, but never got into that kind of riding myself. However I did ride the CT70 all over creation, as well as snowmobile & three-wheeler, and drove the boat while fishing with my grandfather every now and then.

Squidly stuff: The usual, when first starting out. Sometimes no jacket, but always a helmet. Lots of back-roads racing around, taking chances and indulging in risky behavior. As I got older I got wiser, and fortunately my luck held out until I learned some sense.

Experience: I began working in the motorcycle industry (dealer parts dept) about a year after I started street riding. I stayed in that business until 1997 when I became fed up with making no money. During that time, I bought my GS1100E in a box and with the help of my then BF, rebuilt it from the frame up. We also rebuilt his Kaw H2 750 triple which I would ride occasionally , and his CR250.

I was bikeless for a few years after I sold the GS, but had the use of a CBR600 for a while when my friend's house burnt down and he had nowhere to keep his bike. (Storage fee = I get to ride the bike). And of course, I get to ride any bike my SO might have.

In late '04 I bought an '05 GSXR600 and a year or so later started doing track days. That became an addiction for several years, and I have done about 25 track days to date. In early '08, traded the gsxr600 for an '07 gsxr750 and as of this writing still have that bike.

It's hard to say how many miles I've logged, but it has to be around 80k. Commuting, road trips, corner store runs, spirited riding (local and mountain/canyon trips), countless rides to bike events in Daytona, track days. Becoming more interested in sport touring now though.

Gear: Minimum is helmet, jacket (with armor), gloves, boots, and either riding pants or if jeans then with knee armor under them. I also will ride in full leathers on the street as well for track days.

My advice is to never stop learning.

#10 ·
Name: Jeff

Bikes owned: 2000 Ninja 250, 2006 Triumph Daytona 675

First started: January 2009

Training: MSF Basic course, Team Pro Motion beginner trackday school

Experience: 20k miles in 2 years, 1 Trackday, one lowside in the rain going sub-20mph

Squidly stuff: Usual stuff. Used to push myself much more before the trackday. Afterwards, I contained it to one or two locations I know very well. Still had the occasional issue of getting too into it and blasting triple digits up the straight hill before the last few bends. Also rode over the summer with just a helmet, gloves, boots and jeans due to the excessive heat. I worked as a delivery driver using the bike and it was too hot.

Gear (minimum): Helmet, Jacket, Gloves, steel toe boots for around town (sub 35mph speed limits). Out of town, all of the above, plus riding boots and riding jeans/textile pants/leather pants depending on situation.

Advice: Always wear your gear. I've had too many friends get beat up from not wearing proper pants, gloves, boots and jackets. One ended up missing a chunk of his knee and had to wear a brace for a while.

#11 · (Edited)
Handle: Ishibubu

Bikes owned: 1996 CBR600, 2006 Kawasaki ZX6R

Squidly stuff: When I first started riding with my permit I forgot how quickly they expire (6 months I believe) and ended up doing most of my miles on my CBR without a valid permit! Man I felt like an idiot when I figured that out (when I went to get my license). Other than that, nothing dangerous- just forgetting to renew my permit.

Licensing/training/experience: M Endorsement, Ed Bargy Race School, ~15,000 street miles, started in Summer of 2008.

Gear: Bell Star, Scorpion EXO 700, Alpinestars SMX gloves, Alpinestars SMX-4 Riding boots, Frank Thomas riding jacket, Newer XTI II Frank Thomas Jacket, Frank Thomas Gauntlet Gloves, Cortech HDX Gloves (no bueno), Frank Thomas XTI One-Piece Suit.

#12 · (Edited)
Name: Brandon

6'4" and 230lbs, so the 'but I'm too big for an xyz' argument doesn't work on me.

Bikes owned:
2005 Ninja 250R
2000 R6
2003 CBR600RR
2008 Ninja 250R
2008 Ducati 1098
2005 GSXR600
2009 Kawasaki Versys
2009 Triumph Street Triple
2010 Ducati Streetfighter
2005 Kawasaki ZX6R 636
2010 Yamaha R1

Squidly stuff: I've been known to go place-to-place in jacket, gloves, helmet, shorts, and tennis shoes. I know the risks, but I also know that jeans are as good as tissue paper at speed. If I'm going on a ride for fun, its all leathers though. Never been a single mile without an M endorsement and full coverage insurance.

Experience: Perfect score on MSF in 2005 (SBN member "Moon" was my instructor), roughly ~10k miles per year total across whatever bikes I own at the time, a couple trackdays at JenningsGP, and some very unofficial trackdays at a local gem of a closed course. As admin/founder of our city's local forum, I'm tightly connected to the local 'scene'. Still have never once been down or even dropped a bike.

Gear: As far as protective gear, I'll just say a garage full. Way to much to list every glove or jacket. Besides that I've got a No-Mar tire changer setup, a full set of Pit Bull stands, a bunch of Ducati-proprietary tools, etc.

#13 ·
I think there was one of these when I first joined back a couple years ago but anyway.

not2slow: Ken

Bikes: way to many to list, Current 08 R6

Single, one son that will be 18 in March 2011(he cares not anything about cars or bikes, used to wonder if he was mine, but its been confirmed lol)

Started on a mini bike with a 5 hp Briggs & Stratton when I was 9. The whole neighborhood had those or a go cart, do not see that anymore, damn.

Went on to motocross with a variety of 2 stroke bikes.

First bike I had with a license was a 1975 RD 250/then 350 then 400, before I ever owned a car.

Started roadracing in 1986. After getting my license at the Ed Bargy school at little Tally. I was moved from Novice to Expert by mid year(Mostly because I was doing every endurance race I could and getting boatloads of tracktime)

Track time is the key, just sayin.

One of my biggest thrills was win in 87 Scott Russell was riding for team Solimax at little Tally and was the first to break the under 1:00 mark at that track, that same day I ran a 101.97 on a FZR600.

Had some awesome 5 years traveling with friends racing mostly in the southeast region of WERA with a couple AMA races thrown in(another highlight was the last AMA endurance race put on at the Talledega Speedway WOW just to say the least) and won the southeastern expert C Production class in 1990(I ran this class because I got a free ride from the dealership I worked at the time).

Coming full circle when I hung up the leathers in 92 because of getting married and before mentioned son on the way, I have not seen a track until I did a Nesba demo day last Nov. 7 at Barbers. Now I have signed up with both Nesba and Sportbiketractime and signed up for several trackdays for next season. I am so looking forward to next year!

#14 ·
Name: Kenneth

No kids and a gf who wants to learn to ride

Bikes owned:
2008 R6 (stolen with 15k miles)
2006 R1 (Current, bought with 12k and now over 24k)

Experience:
MSF course, 2 years and 28k miles, 0 track days but Im planning a few next year,

Squidly stuff:
8 years old was my first experience on a bike and I crashed 10 ft from the start and I never touched another bike till I was 24. Bought my 08 R6 with 9 miles on the OD and rode it home. That took me over an hour of going back roads to avoid the highway. Ive done top speed runs on both bikes and I don't need to do any more of those. I am trying to practice parking lot stunts with the R1 but its difficult finding places where cops and people don't mess with you.

Gear:
Scorpion EXO-700
KBC (no idea what kind)
Leather jacket (clearance rack)
Fieldsheer mesh (don't wear so gf wears)
SIDI B-2
random gloves
ICON chest and back protector
ICON elbow pads
ICON knee and shin guards

#15 · (Edited)
Handle: tom10167 (Real name is Rusty Shackleford)

Bikes owned: V-Star 650, V-Star 1300 :(

Squidly stuff: I am a pretty big nit. I have never operated a motorcycle in anything less than full gear. About the closest I get is riding without earplugs on short distances. I love going fast on the highway. I contemplate getting a radar detector just so I can comfortably cruise at 100. Our highway has a seldom-populated HOV lane with a very wide emergency lane so that's how I justify it. :)

Licensing/training/experience: Took and did very well in the MSF. Have my motorcycle license. Never rode a bike of any kind before taking the MSF. Been riding since Jan 2010, put around 11k miles on the bikes so far.

Gear:Shoei RF-1100, Shift Icon jacket, matching zip-together Shift pants, some Alpinestar walking-friendly boots, Fieldsheer Bullet ii gloves.

I don't claim to be great, just astute and logical.

EDIT: I now ride a BMW Squid-tourer 1200

#16 · (Edited)
Alright, I'll bite.

priesker916, married, 2 kids, one at UC Santa Barbara in the Ph.D. program, the other in JC.

Trade: Machinist in the race car industry, machine shop in my garage, also.

Bikes owned: 1971-Bought a CT-70. Did you know they had a CT-70 class to race rough scrambles in 1971-74? First street bike, 73 Kawasaki 350 triple at age 15, rode for a year with no license, probably rebuilt the engine over the years about 6 times. Everything from YZ125s, to YZ465s, RM400, CR500, Husqvarna 510, Bultaco 360 Astro flattracker, and a bunch of others. A whole shitload of streetbikes, from that old Kawasaki triple, to other Kawasaki triples, Z-1's, CB900Fs (a few of those), various Suzuki, Honda and Kawasaki 4 cylinders, a 1200 Bandit, 955 Daytona (a very fun bike to ride), CBR1000F, and a bunch that I can't recall right now, up to the current Ducati S4 916 and YZ450F. Also, there is a KZ1000 project bike out in the garage right now. I'm gathering parts for that one.

Squidly stuff? My last street crash was a low side in 1979. I crash pretty regularly in the dirt.

Licensing and experience: Probably about 370,000 miles on the street. Raced dirtbikes as a kid through my teens and 20's, everything from, Flattrack, Shorttrack, TT, Enduro, Hare Scrambles, Rough Scrambles, anything we could ride, my friends and I went to race it. Maybe about 9 or 10 years. Lifetime Sportsman. Had a Class C (M1) license since I was 16. A couple of trackday riding classes, a couple of trackdays, strictly Group B (or Group 2, however they classify it, right in the middle).

I still ride every day (California, remember?).

Advise? I don't tell people how to ride, what to buy, or whatever. If you ask my advice, I'll give you my opinion. But if I had to give an opinion about riding, it's focus on what you are doing. Practice, as much as possible. Find people that ride well to teach you.

Gear? Arai. Danner boots. Fox Boots on the dirtbike. Leather jacket. Good gloves (I've got several pairs, the MSR ColdPro's are my favorite).

#17 ·
eperience...not much

15k street miles, half a dozen track days most of which were instructed, one of them being race school. Didn't get to the track much this summer, only once actually, and will be starting club racing this spring.

I try to help people where i can with the stuff i know about, it doesn't always come out right lol.

Bikes - 06 zzr600
08 sv650 track bike

#18 ·
Handle: Beowulf2k

Bikes owned: 1974 Honda CB350 1977 KZ1000, 1980 KZ1000, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ750, 1984 Honda Interceptor 750, 1984 Honda V65 Sabre, 1983 Suzuki Katana 1100, 1986 Kawasaki 454 LTD, 1988 Honda Hurricane 600, 1994 Kawsaki ZX7R, 1997 ZX7R, 1993 Honda CBR900RR, 1980 KZ1300, 2003 Kawasaki ZX9R, 2004 Kawasaki ZX10R, 1998 Triumph Tiger 900, 1998 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500, 1985 Yamaha Vmax, 1987 Suzuki DR650, 1985 Honda XR600, 2005 Kawasaki ZX10R. (I know im missing one or two)

Squidly stuff: Well I been riding for over 20 years and have had my days of squidly stuff. Whether it be jumping stuff or wheelies. I will have to admit I went through the squid world of no helmet or gear. It was until I got hit by a U-turning lady that I decided I needed to wear more than just a helmet.

Licensing/training/experience: Alot and I mean alot of OJT and then I took the MSF course. A few track times, nothing to write home about and numerous hours/ miles or riding.

Gear: 2 X11 Shoei Helmets, 5 DOM/YF Shoei's, 3 Quantum II Arais, 2 AGV's and misc. passenger helmets. 1 Alpine Stars leather, 2 leather Rockets, 2 mesh rockets. 2 sets of Alpine Stars boots. No full suits.

At the end of the day: I realized riding is an important part of my life and will always own a motorcycle-kinda like a part of the food group-you will always need it. It helps in more ways than ever when it comes to unwinding.
With over 20 years of riding experience, I can say I have experienced it all, whether it be a simple broken throttle cable to giving the fattest chick a ride home because SHE was stranded-I did it all.

#19 ·
Bumblebee

OLD

AARP member

Have been riding motorcycles since 1965. Have continously owned some kind of motorcycle since 1974.

Have logged over 400,000 miles on the street

Still alive with all appendages

#20 · (Edited)
Handle: kevin_stevens

Year bought first street bike: 1972

Previous bikes:
'70 Suzuki TS90
'77 Suzuki GS750
'81 Suzuki GS450S
'81 Yamaha 550 Seca
'86 Honda Hurricane
'84 Honda Nighthawk 700S
'82 Honda FT500 Ascot
'86 Honda VFR700F
'00 Triumph Sprint ST
'98 BMW K1200RS
'98 Suzuki TL1000S
'03 Suzuki GSX-R1000
'00 Moto Guzzi V11S
'01 Honda CBR600F4i
'97 Ducati 748
'01 Triumph Speed Triple
'06 Kawasaki ZX-14
'09 Buell 1125CR
'10 BMW S1000RR
'87 BMW K100RS
'12 BMW K1300S

Current bikes:
None.
http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/general-sportbikes/484033-thats-wrap.html

Certifications/Classes:
CA motorcycle endorsement, but I transferred from Texas so don't ask me about the CA driving test or the MSF BRC.
Multiple MSF ERC
Lee Parks ARC
Lee Parks ARC Track
Jason Pridmore STAR riding school
Reg Pridmore CLASS riding school
StreetMasters riding clinic
Keith Code California Superbike School Levels 1&2.

General Experience: Dirt rider from 12-18, street license since 15, motorcycle as sole transportation for a ten year period and pretty consistent riding outside of that. Several hundred thousand miles career. Currently commute 4+ days/week, sport riding, and track days. I also compete at autocross, numerous regional championships and National Tour wins in everything from Corvettes to Miatas to rally cars; currently '05 Evo RS.

Tracks:
Buttonwillow
Willow Springs (big track, Streets, and HorseThief)
Spring Mountain in Pahrump
Laguna Seca
Auto Club Speedway at Fontana (AMA, infield)
Chuckwalla
Oh, and I've done Thunderhill in a Corvette.

One significant motorcycle accident in '81 - classic oncoming left-turner. Bike totalled, very fortunately no serious injury. One insignificant lowside in '10, minor damage, no injury.

KeS

#21 · (Edited)
Username: Look to the left

Past scoots:

'85 Yamaha Badger (80cc four-wheeler)
'88 Yamaha 200cc four-wheeler
'94 Honda 250 Nighthawk
'96 Honda CBR600F3
'02 Suzuki GS500 (stolen the night I bought it :badmood)
'07 Honda Spirit 750 C2 (current whip)

Training: MSF BRC & ERC, '98 - '02 (req'd to have at least a one-day refresher course per year per base commanders' orders during my AF days :rolleyes), was going to get MSF Instructor Certification, but lost interest.

Qualifications: Street licensed in the following states for the "M" endorsement: Florida, Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Kansas. I know, I'm a nomad.

Experience: Started on the aforementioned '85 Yammy Badger when I was but 6 years old. From there, I progressed quite rapidly through various and sundry dirtbikes (mostly Yam's but a couple of fire-breathing Kawi's thrown in here and there), four-wheelers, and the odd go-kart. Raced 125's on dirt as well as four-wheelers (again, of the 125cc variety, oddly). I've probably logged somewhere around 100,000 miles on the street throughout my life and at least 2,000 hours off-roadin'.

Gear: AFX FX-90 helmet (flat black with silver/gray tribal-y artwork), mirrored, smoke, and clear shields. Icon armored gloves, S&S armored jacket (again, sticking with the matte-black theme), Blackhawk black backpack, classic harness boots, jeans.

Miraculously, I've never been in an accident or even a fender-bender. I've had more than my fair share of close calls and pants-shitting moments of terror, but all in all I've been quite lucky. Only dropped one bike: the '94 Nighthawk while trying to bump-start it.

#22 ·
Handle: Kawi Kop

Bikes owned: '77 Honda Express (scooter), '78 Honda Express (scooter), '78 Yamaha GT80, 1991 Honda XR100, 1990 Yamaha TW 200, 1992 Kawasaki KX125, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650r

Squidly stuff: Grew up learning to ride on the scooters, starting at age 9. Used them both on the street and dirt :). Moved into dirt bikes, then racing Enduros and Motocross. Too many squidly moments to even begin to share!

Licensing/training/experience: Raced the Black Jack Enduro Circuit in the '90's and ran Motocross in Billings, MO- my last season in Expert class 125's (1993). After that got too $$$ I had to quit, focus on life for a bit. Back on two wheels now, on my Ninja 650r, average about 1400 miles a month. Commuter-bike and fun machine in one! "M" endorsement here in MO.

Gear: Rocking a Bell Star, and the rest depends on the weather. Today I've been wearing Scorpion Leather perf jacket, AGV Textile pants, Teknik Gloves, and Vega short-boots.

#23 · (Edited)
name: Call me Tanny.

motorcycles owned:
cbr250rr 1998
gsx750r k7
fazer150

rider resume:
Well,i am a pretty short guy.First motorcycle experince was a pocket bike when i was around 6.Rode it till 13,then got a scooter for commuting but rode it like hell.Till then i was a huge motorcycle riding geek .But then, i turned 17 got a fazer150 for commuting,accompanied some racers at the tracks,did a track day.I was quite fast for a rookie ,because i used to already ride hard on streets.I wanted to start racing but dad and family refused to support,so started earning and saving for my passion.At 21 i started racing after getting a cbr250rr.Racing for making a good profession in it.

Nowdays me and my brother,who is 28 currently are racing,he races gsx750r at nationals.
I race r15,moded category group 'd' at state levels recently won a state championship and looking forward to move to nationals in group 'a' 1000cc category in chennai in expert class.But before that i would have to have a good 1000cc experience.But then i will probably be leaving India for racing further.

If not on tracks then i would probably with my dog or with my cbr,just kinda fun to see how the machinary works.Still living with a dream to race at world superbike level.....may be i never make it though.

#25 · (Edited)
Handle: OreoGaborio
Born: Dec 9 1979
Began riding on the street: Early 2001
Began riding on the track: Late 2004
Miles ridden on the street: ~50k. Probably 75-100k combined, street & track.
Bikes owned: '00 Kawi ZX6R (street/track days), '89 Kawi EX500 (race), '02 Kawi KX250 (dirty monster)
Bikes currently own: 2003 Aprilia Tuono (street/track days), '06 SV650 (race/track days), 2001 KTM 400exc (street/woods)

Formal Training:
- MSF BRC
- Countless track days from 2004 to present
- Cornerspeed Level 1 Race School, Spring 2006
- Licensed CCS and LRRS Road Racer, Spring 2006
- Trained Instructor, Control Rider and Cornerworker for Tony's Track Days since Summer 2006
- Expert LRRS/CCS road racer, Spring of 2009
- Trained MSF RiderCoach, Spring of 2009

General experience:
2001 - Completed MSF BRC. Licensed in MA

2004 - Purchased a bike in May. Began riding more seriously after attending my first two track days in Loudon, NH with Tony's Track Days

2005 - Started averaging 10 or more track days per year with Tony's Track Days

2006 - Completed the Cornerspeed Level 1 race school, earned my CCS race license, formed Cheap Bastid Racing and began competing in the Loudon Road Racing Series
Bumped from Novice to Amateur status after 10 races
Began working as a Guest Instructor for Tony's Track Days

2007 - Appointed as a perminent Track Day Instructor for Tony's Track Days.

2008 - After a successful race season as an Amateur, became an Expert road racer with the Loudon Road Racing Series and Championship Cup Series.

2009 - Signed on with ECK Racing, became an MSF RiderCoach and began coaching the Massachusetts MSF BRC through Ironstone Ventures.

2010 - Named Assistant Chief Instructor for Tony's Track Days.
Finished 4th overall in LRRS Expert LWSS
Finished 3rd overall in LRRS Expert LWSB
Finished 2nd overall in LRRS Expert LWGP
Finished 2nd overall in LRRS Expert Pirelli Diablo 600 Challenge

2011 - Made "manager" of ECK Racing.
One of four instructors chosen to be trained by long time motoryclist, published author and Tony's Track Days Chief Instructor Ken Condon for his Personalized Instruction Program.
Finished 2nd overall in LRRS Expert LWSS
Finished 3rd overall in LRRS Expert LWSB
Finished 3rd overall in LRRS Expert LWGP
Finished 3rd overall in LRRS Expert GTL

Squidly stuff: I ride a Tuono, a race bike & a dirt bike... need I say more? :D

Gear: Too much to list... and I still don't have enough :p

#27 · (Edited)
The age of Steingar is no one's concern. Old enough to know better. Steingar could not remember all the bikes he has ridden, nor could he easily count up the miles, as they touch both US coasts and a fair number of international borders. Steingar attended one motorcycle safety course compliments of the California Highway Patrol, his squidly antics put him there. Steingar wears a Snell rated full face helmet, an armored jacket made of leather or Cordura fabric, full-length pants and closed shoes at minimum. Steingar reads no book that he can't color afterwards.

This talking about yourself in the third person is kinda fun. I can see why Joe Biden likes it. Then again, being indulged by the current occupant of Number One Observatory Circle does not exactly recommend an activity.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.