Sport Bikes banner

2007 ZZR600 wierd problem

6K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  RayOSV 
#1 ·
Hi Guys, been lurking for a while, but just ran into a very wierd problem with my bike, so I figured I try posting!

Ok, so I get my bike out for the first time this year (2007 ZZR600, about 5500 miles, ran flawlessly last year). Had some trouble starting it at first, but finally got it going, and no problems. I let her run for 5 or 10 minutes to get good and warmed up, burped the throttle a couple times, sounds great! So I get on and go to take off, and once on the road, she seems to be acting wierd as I'm rolling on first. As I'm shifting into second, she stalls. It started right back up, take off again, and as I'm coming up to a stop sign, she stalls again...... but this time I'm putting oil down with lots of smoke. Now realize, I've only gone two "short" blocks from my driveway. I push her home and into the garage. I quickly figured out that the smoke was from the oil pouring onto the pipes, and figured out the the oil is coming from the breather on top of the head (didn't come out, just looks like it's pushing out around it. Still turns over fine (but didn't let her start, just in case), don't think I hurt the motor, but there has to be something blocking the oil from returning from the head. I've worked on many motors before, but never have had one of these ones apart, so short of pulling the motor and breaking her open, I havn't a clue where to even start!! Has anyone run into anything like this before? Any idea's would be greatly appreciated!

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
I broke open the airbox, and it's clean, checked the breather hose between the head and the airbox, and its clear....

Edit - One thing that is also weird is that right now, the oil fill line in the sight glass is totally covered in oil, making it look like there's too much oil, but the last time I changed the oil was 1500 miles ago. Before I fired her up today, I checked the oil level in the sight glass, and it was perfect.... (and to answer the next question, I don't appear to be low on coolant)

Edit - I've been playing with it, and opening the oil filler, I noticed I can see the oil line about half way up the clutch, if I'm not mistaken, there shouldn't even be any oil up there when it's not running. If I tip the bike back and forth, I can hear the oil gurgling like it's releasing air pockets. Is there an internal valve, or something that may have froze up over the winter that could be keeping the oil from returning to the crankcase properly? Since I have never had one of these motors apart, I don't know how the oil returns work. Could something be blocking one?? That combined with the fact that the sight glass is totally covered with oil, and I'm totally confused!!

#7 ·
+1
Occasionally there could be a stuck float condition (especially with today's garbage fuel). Check the carburetors for this and definitely check the Vacuum operated petcock on that model for a leak.
Obviously you need to drain that oil and filter before you operate it again.
Take the airbox off (so you can see the carburetor bores) and turn the petcck to the "PRI" position. Check to see if there are any carbs pouring fuel into the engine. The other thing you will want to check is the vacuum line going to the petcock from the carb insulators. when you remove it, see if it's leaking fuel from this line. If it is, rebuild the petcock assy.

#5 · (Edited)
No gas smell in the oil, oil looks good...

edit - I was wrong about the gas smell in the oil. I was going off of the drips that were coming off of it, and they look fine. But I just drained the oil, and it kept coming, and coming...... Was very thin, and definately smelled of gas. I estimate that I pulled 6 or 7 quarts out of it!! I stupidly didn't shut the tank off when I parked it for winter (didn't think a complete winterizing was necessary since my last ride was in December). Is it possible that that much gas could have leaked from the carbs in a few months???

#8 ·
Thanks, I'll check that out. Last night I drained the oil, pulled the filter, drained that out, than put some new oil in. Got her back together enough to start it up, and no problems. Took her about a mile down the road, being gentle at first, then getting on it a little, and no issues, ran perfectly. I've read in a couple different places that since I got so much gas in the crankcase, I should change the oil again very soon. Any opinions on that?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.