Home | Message Board | User's Garage |Articles & Reviews | Movie Review | Rider Registry | Pictures | Classifieds
Online Chat | Top Sites | Links | Donations | SBN Store | Advertise | Forum Rules | Contributors | Contact Us

THERE IS NO POSTING OR REPLYING IN THE ARCHIVES.
POST ON THE NEW BOARD PLEASE

Go Back   Sportbikes.net > Sportbikes > Honda Sportbikes
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Timeslips Calendar User's Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2002, 07:39 PM   #1
imq707s
Superbike Racer

View my photo gallery
View my Garage

Money:
imq707s is off the scale
Default 1998 CBR600 F3 good starter bike?

I'm looking at a 1998 CBR600 F3 in the paper, concidering it for my first bike. I really like the Yamaha YZF600R, but I can't find any used ones in my area. I like the soft roomy seat and the more upright seating position of the 600R. Will I like the 98 CBR600 F3? Also, with 13,xxx miles and full exhaust, is $4800 a good price for this bike? Thanks
imq707s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2002, 08:15 PM   #2
f4iyamama
500 GP Racer

View my photo gallery
View my Garage

Money: 53
f4iyamama is off the scale
Send a message via Yahoo to f4iyamama
Default sounds fair

I'd try to get it for $4000, 13k on 5 year old bike isn't bad... make sure that the bike is jetted to compensate for the full system or it'll run like s**t. Still enough power to get you in trouble, but better than starting on an R6.
f4iyamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2002, 08:30 PM   #3
imq707s
Superbike Racer

View my photo gallery
View my Garage

Money:
imq707s is off the scale

I think the guys said that it needs a new back tire also, so maybe $4000 is even to high.

Now I know I'll probably get some people saying "your nuts, you need a 250 or 500cc bike to start with. But in my defence, the only reason I even thought about the 98 CBR f3 is because over the last few weeks I've put a few hunder miles on my friends Yamaha 750 MaximX. It more or less a cruiser frame with a streetbike motor. It can be a little twitchy on the throttle if your not paying attention, but I love riding it and haven't once felt like there is two much power for me. But that's because there is a throttle on the bike ( not trying to be a smart ass) and I've never opened it up all the way becuase I know I don't have the experience to handle it. I've just been cruising around on backroads and side streets getting used to the bike. Unless a sport bike handles way different then that maxim X, I don't see why it would'nt be the same thing. I think the first thing that is on most noobs minds the first time they get on a bike is " I wonder how fast I can go", now that would be a problem if they're on a 500cc bike or a 600cc bike. I figure as long as you have common sence and good throttle controll (I've ridden YZ250 dirt bikes for a few years) I should have to problem cruising around practicing on a CBR600. Just becuase you have all that power on tap doesn't mean you have to use it. Now if that CBR is much harder to ride because of other reasons, that's a different story. Thanks for letting me vent.
imq707s is offline   Reply With Quote