Home | Message Board | User's Garage |Articles & Reviews | Movie Review | Rider Registry | Pictures | Classifieds
Online Chat | Top Sites | Links | Donations | SBN Store | Advertise | Forum Rules | Contributors | Contact Us

THERE IS NO POSTING OR REPLYING IN THE ARCHIVES.
POST ON THE NEW BOARD PLEASE

Go Back   Sportbikes.net > Topic Discussions > Performance & Tech
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Timeslips Calendar User's Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2001, 07:41 AM   #1
sharkattack
I'll miss you Dad.

View my photo gallery
View my Garage

Sportbike: '01 R1
Money: 21
sharkattack is off the scale
Default How long is gas stable/good for?

How long can I let my bike sit before I have to worry about the gas getting "gummy" in the carbs? I usually ride every weekend, unless it's snowing or raining. If it looks like I might not be able to get out for several weeks due to weather, I put Sta-Bil in the gas tank and ride it for about 10-15 minutes to circulate the mixture throughout the carbs and fuel lines. My question is, without Sta-Bil, how long can a bike sit without the carbs getting messy, provided I use good gas and fill up after each ride?

Thanks to all who can provide some info.

Shark
sharkattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2001, 11:46 AM   #2
ThunderaceNI
World Superbike Champion

View my photo gallery
View my Garage

Sportbike: 2000 YZF 1000 R Thunderace. Arrow exhaust, K&N Filter and dynojet,JE 1040 Overbore reworked forks, Ohlins rear shock, steel lines , Braking Wave discs, polished frame,undertray, seat cowl, Datatool Digi gear indicator, Harris rear sets, Corbin s
Money:
ThunderaceNI is off the scale
Send a message via AIM to ThunderaceNI Send a message via Yahoo to ThunderaceNI

I've not heard of Sta-Bil over here, but I lay the bike up over the winter and use Motrex Fuel Stabiliser which is most likely the same thing. It is designed specifically for use when bikes are layed up long term, so the winter months over here have not been a problem.

If you have any doubts its best to turn off the fuel and drain the carbs altogether, but if the product you use is designed for long lay offs you should be fine.

Just to give you an idea of what I mean by a lay off, this was my bike yesterday morning.
ThunderaceNI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2001, 01:07 PM   #3
sharkattack
I'll miss you Dad.

View my photo gallery
View my Garage

Sportbike: '01 R1
Money: 21
sharkattack is off the scale

Whoa, what are you doing to your bike? I appreciate the reply to my post. I thought I'd be safe, but it never hurts to ask. I'm just glad I got a response from someone who "knows what they're doing." I've learned a lot from your posts. How do you like the 'Ace? I used to have a '95FZR1000 and loved it. It had 50,000+ miles on it when I traded it in for the R1. Anyway...thanks again. Have a great Christmas.

Shark
sharkattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2001, 02:18 PM   #4
ThunderaceNI
World Superbike Champion

View my photo gallery
View my Garage

Sportbike: 2000 YZF 1000 R Thunderace. Arrow exhaust, K&N Filter and dynojet,JE 1040 Overbore reworked forks, Ohlins rear shock, steel lines , Braking Wave discs, polished frame,undertray, seat cowl, Datatool Digi gear indicator, Harris rear sets, Corbin s
Money:
ThunderaceNI is off the scale
Send a message via AIM to ThunderaceNI Send a message via Yahoo to ThunderaceNI

Well, it looks worse tahn it is, really I've just pulled the fork legs out and removed all the bodywork, the calipers are hanging there to prevent strain on the unions for the brakelines.

I tend to take the winter months to strip the bike down to the metal , give it a real good clean, and do all the little upgrades I've thought about during the year.

I don't mind spending the time doing these things as I love the bike so much and it's a long term project for me. I find the Ace is just about the best all round road bike out there, so instead of constantly looking for the newest model, I improve what's there to begin with.

The forks are with a suspension guy who is using them to have some rebound piston holders made which will mean he can fit an entire set of internal components which will have shims and precision needles so the performance will be improved dramatically.

While off I've had the wheels repainted, fitted a set of Braking Wave discs and serviced teh brake calipers.

The rear is having an undertail fitted which will stay black or may be painted to match the bike, not certain about that yet.

On the electrical side of things I have installed an over ride switch to control the radiator fan as I'm not happy with how hot things get before it cuts in automaticcally in traffic, and also an aftermarket gear indicator cause I'm fed up looking for an additional gear with the 5 speed box.

Finally I picked up a set of Harris rear sets which I should get on after Christmas, and the Ohlins is out to have the spring rate changed to suit the roads in this part of the world.

Glad you think I know what I'm talking about, would you tell my wife as she says otherwise

Enjoy the holidays.

Cheers

Roger
ThunderaceNI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2001, 12:12 PM   #5
GSXRtims
ValpoBoyz Moderator

View my photo gallery
View my Garage

Sportbike: GSXR 750
Money:
GSXRtims is off the scale
Send a message via AIM to GSXRtims

You still have a long ways to go, here was my bike last winter
GSXRtims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2001, 03:16 AM   #6
irdave
World Superbike Champion

View my photo gallery
View my Garage

Money: 84
irdave is off the scale

I believe gas is good for about 6 months.
irdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2001, 02:22 PM   #7
Eyespy
Some assembly required

View my photo gallery
View my Garage

Money:
Eyespy is off the scale

Some time ago, on one bike I have, I've had it sitting in the garage for several years with gas and Sta-Bil in the tank. The battery needed to be replaced even though I had it on a Battery Tender the whole time, but when I replaced the battery, the bike still started up. The carbs were leaking gas, the floats or something must have gummed up. Then the leaks stopped on their own in a few minutes. No problems since.
Eyespy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 07:04 PM   #8
kawi250
Superbike Racer

View my photo gallery
View my Garage

Sportbike: 2000 RC51, 94 YZF750 2001 KX250
Money:
kawi250 is off the scale
Send a message via AIM to kawi250

It depends all on the octane rating, the higher the octane the longer it will be combustible if my bikes were to sit for more than 3 months I would clear the carbs, or just make sure to start you bike and let it idle for 10-15 min around every 2 weeks.
kawi250 is offline   Reply With Quote